Photo:  Trent Pearce wheels away in celebration of his goal against Launceston City [PlessPix]

(Victory League, Lightwood Park, Saturday, 25 May 2013)

Kingborough Lions United 4 (J Schuth 27, 71, T Pearce 37, M Farquhar 38)

Launceston City 1 (S Bin Sumaida 47)

HT:  3-0   Att:  120   Ref:  P Galloway

Kingborough Lions United:  Leamey  -  W Davis, Hill, Cuthbertson, D Pearce  -  A Hinkley, Collins, Palmer, Farquhar  -  T Pearce, Schuth (J Davis 80)  (Subs not used:  Cooper, Hawkins, Jun)

Launceston City:  Farrell  -  Rossetto (Keddie 72), Bartlett, Sciulli, D Egan  -  J Duncan (Jones 76), L Duncan (Hawksley 61), Campbell, Bin Sumaida  -  Kennedy, Leonard


Photo:  Kingborough's Cormac Collins gets a pass away despite being under pressure [PlessPix]

Launceston City began this match well in extremely windy conditions and fashioned a few early chances, mainly through Saeed Bin Sumaida on the right.  He was unlucky not to score and only some desperate defending by the home side saved them from an early setback.

Kingborough gradually settled down and, playing with the strong wind, began to penetrate the visitors’ defence.


Photo:  City keeper Patrick Farrell is beaten at his near post by Kingborough's Joel Schuth [PlessPix]

Joel Schuth put the Lions ahead in the 27th minute with a low drive that beat keeper Patrick Farrell at his near post.

Ten minutes later, Trent Pearce made it 2-0 with a powerful shot from the inside-left channel.

A minute later, Martin Farquhar broke through on the right and hit a low drive across Farrell and inside the far left-hand post to make it 3-0 at the break.


Photo:  Patrick Farrell is beaten by Martin Farquhar's shot to make it 3-0 for the Lions [PlessPix]

It could have been 4-0 but Nick Hill’s free-kick five minutes before the interval struck the Launceston City crossbar.

Two minutes after the resumption, Saeed Bib Sameida got the reward his fine performance warranted as he slipped the ball home to pull a goal back for the visitors.

Schuth went close for Kingborough in the 56th minute, his free-kick sailing just wide in the wind.

In the 63rd minute, Kingborough’s Michael Palmer forced a fine save from Farrell, the keeper tipping the ball over the bar for a fruitless corner.


Photo:  Launceston City's Aaron Leonard heads the ball clear of Kingborough's Cormac Collins [PlessPix]

Kingborough’s fourth goal came in the 71st minute from a Cormac Collins corner from the left, the ball being nodded on by Damian Pearce and cannoning off the head of a surprised Schuth and into the net.

Palmer shot narrowly wide in the 72nd minute as Kingborough continued to press their opponents, but they were reduced to ten men in the 87th minute when Hill was shown a red card for violent conduct.  City’s Mitch Hawksley was shown a yellow card at the same time.  Hill took a long time to leave the field, stopping at one stage to fiddle with his laces and socks.

In stoppage time, City keeper Farrell produced a marvellous save from Farquhar, who had brilliantly beaten two defenders to give himself an unimpeded run at goal.

The win left the Lions in sixth place, while City have yet to earn a point.


Photo:  Kingborough's Nick Cuthbertson (right) comes away with the ball [PlessPix]

Kingborough Lions United coach, Steve Adkins, said:

“We’ve been chasing a three-point result for quite a while and it’s good to get three points.

“I thought Launie were very good today.  When they scored that one in the second half, they were in with a show and credit to our guys [because] they hung on.

“I didn’t really see what happened [the red card].  A couple of stories have been told to me, but I’ll have to wait and have a look at it [video].  To me, it’s not a good result as far as that goes.

“I thought it wasn’t our best performance of the year.  To Launie’s credit, they really took it up to us.

“Not very happy at all [Hill’s slow departure from the field after being sent off].  We’ll have a chat.”


Photo:  Kingborough's Nick Hill (right) wins a header against Launceston City's Aaron Campbell [PlessPix]

Launceston City coach, Mark Egan, said:

“The boys worked extremely hard for each other and I was pleased with the performance.

“Both sides had to play in the conditions, but I can’t fault our boys.  They tried their hardest.

“We’re not going to celebrate the fact that we’ve only scored two goals for the season, but it is a positive.”


Photo:  City's Alex Rossetto goes for the ball against the Lions' Damian Pearce (nearest camera) and Adam Hinkley [PlessPix]

Launceston City’s Alex Sciulli said:

“It was better, definitely better [our performance].  The windy conditions were terrible.  Our hats off to Kingborough.  They got good goals.

“[A couple of half-chances in the first half] would have definitely made a difference [if we’d have scored].  It would have got the boys up more a bit.

“[Any other team] is within range.”


Photo:  Kingborough's Damian Pearce wins the ball [PlessPix]