Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 125 guests and no members online

Photos: Mariners coach Graham Arnold was disappointed at the manner of the loss; Adrian Leijer scored an own-goal; Victory coach Ernie Merrick will have a great New Year; Mariners Alex Wilkinson and Patricio Perez were downcast [PlessPix]

Central Coast Mariners 1-2 Melbourne Victory


Melbourne Victory scored twice in three minutes in the last five minutes to beat a 10-man Central Coast Mariners side 2-1 away at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford this evening.

The Mariners had taken the lead in the 48th minute through an own-goal by Adrian Leijer, but goals by Diogo Ferreira in the 85th minute and Grant Brebner in the 87th gave the visitors an important win.

The Mariners had been reduced to 10 men in the 53rd minute when Adam Kwasnik was shown a second yellow card for dissent.

Victory were under pressure in the first half and only two fine saves by goalkeeper Michael Petkovic kept the match goalless.

Three minutes after the break, fullback Joshua Rose attacked down the left and beat substitute Ferreira before knocking a curling ball in towards the near post where Leijer, under pressure from Kwasnik, turned the ball into his own net.

Kevin Muscat was lucky not to concede a penalty when he missed the ball in a lunging tackle and brought down an opponent, while it was his tackle on Kwasnik that led to the latter complaining and being dismissed.

Five minutes from the end, Victory drew level following Ricardinho

Photo: George Town United circa 1984 [From the Ralph Dymond collection]

A recent flick through my photographic files uncovered the above photo of the George Town United side of 1984.

George Town United won the Northern top-flight title that season, their first since 1970.

The photo was taken at George Town before the State premiership match against southern champions Juventus Pioneeer, which was contested over two legs.

Juventus won 2-0 to win the State title 4-0 on aggregate.

This was a fine era for George Town United, who had won the Cadbury Trophy a couple of seasons earlier.

New Zealander Peter Davidson is second from the left in the back row, while Liam Monagle is second from the right in the back row and Peter Sawdon is to his left.

Gary Pennicott, father of South Hobart

Photos (Top to Bottom): Chris Hey, the Olympia warriors coach; Nektar Vavoulas, seen here on the left, in action against New Town Eagles' Alex Gordon, won't be available for the game against South Melbourne Hellas; Olympia's Adam Hedge (with the ball) is heading overseas until March; Goalkeeper Dmitri Nester saving a penalty...he has been training; Kosta Grillas has a long-term injury; The club room at Olympia's new ground and one penalty area; Looking down the length of the artificial pitch; A view of the flank next to the club room; Looking at one wing of the ground; One touch-line area; A corner quadrant and one flank of the ground; The touchline next to the club room [PlessPix]

Olympia Warriors are currently training three days a week - Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays - in preparation for the 2011 season and the forthcoming visit of South Melbourne Hellas.

Adelaide United 2-0 Sydney FC


Second-placed Adelaide United beat bottom-side Sydney FC 2-0 at the Adelaide Oval tonight to move to within 8 points of A-League leaders Brisbane Roar.

Adelaide meet Roar at Hindmarsh Stadium on 2 January in a top-of-the-table clash.

Reigning champions Sydney remain last, a point adrift of North Queensland Fury and are now almost certainly out of contention for a place in the finals, being 9 points out of the top-six.

The win broke Adelaide