Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 129 guests and no members online

Photos (Top to Bottom): Zebras give the ball away in midfield; Twenty players squeeze into a narrow strip in midfield at a goal-kick; Kingborough's Tom McDonald is foiled in front of goal; Kingborough's Trent Pearce misses a chance; Kingborough's Marc Iseli heads over the bar from a corner; Kingborough's Trent Pearce is denied a goal; Zebras keeper Troy Kaden catches a corner; Kingborough's Marcello Marcioli wins the ball in midfield; Zebras' Ben Crosswell is thwarted inside the box; Zebras' Jayden Welch flashes the ball across the face of goal; Zebras' Ben Crosswell runs away after scoring, followed by happy team-mates Ricky Self, Kurt Engels and Fabian Lapolla


This was not a game worthy of teams in the top four of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League.

Tilford Zebras did not look like league leaders, while Kingborough had no goalkeeping problems this time but fell down badly in attack.

Both sides squandered golden opportunities and that is why the match did not end up as the type of goal feast that has characterised the meetings between these sides in the league this season.

Still, five goals is a mini-feast, I suppose. But, there should have been many more.

Kingborough will be ruing their missed chances in the first half against a Zebras defence that was poor.

Time and again, Charles White, Tom McDonald and Trent Pearce were presented with fine openings but failed to capitalise.

Troy Kaden and Henry Fagg frequently saved the day through sheer good fortune rather than design and it looked very much like a comedy of errors.

I have often praised the talents of Kurt Engels and Jayden Walsh, the two Zebras wingmen. But, they both had poor games and could be feeling the pressure in the top flight now that Aaron Brazendale has left for overseas.

After missing several early chances, Kingborough hit the front in the 11th minute when White cut the ball back across the face of goal from the byline on the left and Trent Pearce was untroubled in side-footing home.

Ben Crosswell, who had earlier hit a post, equalised in the 20th minute with a fine curling shot from wide on the right, the ball lodging just inside David Leamey’s far right-hand post.

Fabian Lapolla also went close with a low drive that flashed just wide of the same post.

Crosswell put Zebras in front in the 54th minute when he was left unmarked beyond the far post at a corner from the right and looped a header back across goal and into the net.

A delightful pass by substitute Matt Hall in the 71st minute put Dwayne Walsh through the Lions’ defence and he finished clinically to make it 3-1.

White should have scored for the Lions in the 77th minute when he was unmarked close to goal, but he mis-timed his header badly from Michael Wells’s left-wing cross and put the ball high over the bar.

Marc Iseli did pull a goal back in the 89th minute with a header from a corner, but the Lions had used their extra lives by that stage and could not claw their way back.


  • Tilford Zebras coach, Nick Lapolla, said:

“In the end, it was three points. It’s as simple as that.

“Three points, and we’ve just got to keep winning.

“I was a ‘dirty’ win. We played good in patches, we played bad in patches, but it was three points.”

  • Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“I was happy with the way we played in the first half, except for our finishing.

“We should have been probably 4-2 up at half-time.

“In the second half, we didn’t play with the same intensity and they came at us and probably deserved to be in front.

“But, late on, we battled and probably did enough maybe to have snuck a point.

“Disappointed with our finishing today. We created enough opportunities, and clear-cut opportunities, but we just didn’t take them and they took theirs.”


Tilford Zebras: Kaden - Fagg, Telega, Smith, Pace - K Engels, Self, F Lapolla (Hall 67), Welch - Walsh, Crosswell (Substitutes not used: Connolly, Mainella)

Goals: Crosswell 20, 54, Walsh 71

Kingborough Lions United: Leamey - Palmer, Iseli, D Pearce, Wells - T Pearce (Bremner 85), Andrews, Marchioli, Hinkley (Bevan 63) - McDonald, White (Substitutes not used: McConnon, Voss)

Booked: Andrews 65

Goals: T Pearce 11, Iseli 89

Att: 90

Ref: P Galloway
Tasmanian Jessie Williams has been having a marvellous tournament for the Australian under-14 women’s football team at the Asian Football Confederation tournament in Vietnam.

Williams, a member of the Tasmanian Institute of Sport women’s football team, has been a key player in Australia’s success.

She scored Australia’s goal in the 1-1 draw with China and also a goal in the 2-1 win over Guam.

Williams then hit five goals in Australia’s 9-0 win over Singapore on Monday.

Australia has also beaten Thailand 2-0 at the tournament being held in Ho Chi Minh City.

Photos (Top to Bottom): Eagles' coach, George Krambousanos, delivers the match balls; Knights' keeper, Alex Tatnell, takes a high cross; Eagles' Jacob Malakoff gets in a shot; Eagles' Alex Leszczynski heads clear; Eagles' Alex Gordon tangles with Knights' Jade Clay; Eagles' Adam McKeown shoots before Brodie Green can intercept; Knights' Alex Holmes clears from McKeown; Knights' scorer, Alex Holmes

Glenorchy Knights threw away the chance to go to the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League standings when they were held to a 1-1 draw at home at KGV Park by second-last New Town Eagles.

Eagles should have led in the first 5 minutes, but poor finishing through a packed goalmouth cost them dearly.

Cormac Collins, who started the match not fully fit limped off after just 18 minutes and was replaced by Jamie Vernon, who went on to have an eventful game. He was cautioned and also missed three good scoring chances.

Eagles took the lead in the 38th minute from a move they had rehearsed in the gymnasium during the week.

Alex Leszczynski took a short corner to Shane Kent, who found Jacob Malakoff on the corner of the box. Malakoff turned sharply and scored with a low drive inside Alex Tatnell’s near post.

It was not until the 75th minute that central defender Alex Holmes equalised. He pushed forward at a corner and, when Jade Clay floated the ball into the box, Holmes rose to head powerfully past Michael Soszynski.

Holmes did a lot of attacking in this game and was virtually playing like a libero. He was able to do so because 19-year-old Brodie Green, his partner in central defence, was able to hold the fort with a powerful and intelligent display.

Eagles’ Nick Ferrall did a wonderful job marking Amadu Koroma, who had few chances.

Soszynski came into his own in the closing stages of the game. In the 79th minute, he saved well from Clay, whose nippy foray got him into a shooting position.

In the 82nd minute, Soszynski again did well to deny Jackson Marsh after a corner.

With 6 minutes remaining, Soszynski earned his keep when he blocked at Koroma’s feet after the striker for once eluded Ferrall after a precision pass from Josh Fielding had released him.

The point lifted Eagles to third-last and Clarence United, who lost 3-1 at home to Hobart Olympic at Wentworth Park that evening, are now in second-last place.


  • Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“It wasn’t a good game by any stretch of the imagination.

“I don’t know what it was like to watch. It was bad enough watching from down there [the bench].

“It was scrappy from both sides.

“I thought it was a fair result in the end. I don’t think either side deserved really to win.

“But, nobody deserved to lose, if that makes sense.

“There weren’t too many chances throughout the whole match.

“I suppose it’s two points dropped, but it’s better than dropping three.”

  • New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“We came here to win the game, but once again, we had a few lads who were injured.

“As you saw, Cormac Collins came off. It was better to start him and, if he was injured, he could come off and that gives us a better chance to get on with the game.

“I honestly thought we should have won the game.

“Maybe we should have had two penalties - at least one - but I just spoke to the referee and he explained his situation and I’ll go with that.

“I’m very proud of the boys. I am a bit upset that Mr Kelly didn’t walk towards me for a handshake, but, it doesn’t matter. That’s the way things go.”


Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Marsh, Green, Holmes, Vavoulas (Paite 63) - Clay, Fielding, Hope, Sherman [Lawler 53 (Roberts 94)] - Smith, Koroma (Substitute not used: Peter)

Booked: Marsh

Goals: Holmes 75

New Town Eagles: Soszynski - Page, Wass, Ferrall, Clark - Malakoff, Kent, Gordon, Leszczynski - Collins (Vernon 18), McKeown (Substitutes not used: Shackcloth, Quan, Minty)

Booked: McKeown, Vernon

Goals: Malakoff 38

Att: 80

Ref: I Jozeljic

Photos (Top to Bottom): Match officials (L-R) Nino Mele, Patrick Galloway and Simon Natoli; Kingborough's Tom McDonald shoots into the side-netting; Zebras' Andrew Telega in hot pursuit of Charles White; Kingborough's Marcello Marchioli wins the ball in midfield; Kingborough's Trent Pearce (left) after scoring; Zebras' Fabian Lapolla shoots; Zebras' scorer Ben Crosswell with Charles White hot on his heels

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League leaders Tilford Zebras were very lucky to beat fourth-placed Kingborough Lions United 3-2 at KGV Park today and extend their lead at the top to 4 points over second-placed Glenorchy Knights.

Kingborough squandered at least four excellent chances in the first half, while in stoppage time at the end of the second half, a goal-bound shot by Damien Pearce was blocked in the six-yard box by team-mate Charles White, the ball rebounding into the arms of a grateful Zebras keeper, Troy Kaden.

Zebras also had their chances, with Ben Crosswell hitting a post in the first half, Fabio Lapolla shooting just wide, and Kingborough goalkeeper David Leamey saving bravely at the feet of Kurt Engles, who had been put through by a splendid pass from Ricky Self.

Trent Pearce gave Kingborough the lead in the 11th minute, side-footing home White’s cut-back from the byline on the left.

Poor defending by Zebras gave Trent Pearce three other glorious chances, but he was either off target or allowed a defender to clear.

Crosswell equalised in the 20th minute with a marvellous left-foot strike from 25 metres on the right, the ball curling beyond Leamey and inside the far post.

Nine minutes into the second half, Crosswell made it 2-1 for the home side when he was left unmarked beyond the far post and headed home a corner from the right.

A superb through-ball by substitute Matt Hall enabled Dwayne Walsh to make it 3-1 for Zebras in the 71st minute with an excellent finish.

White missed a simple header from close range from Michael Wells’s left-wing cross in the77th minute as Kingborough continued to exploit the suspect Zebras defence.

A minute from the end, Marc Iseli headed home a corner to make it 3-2, but Zebras survived another late scare to collect the three points.

If Zebras continue to play like they did in this game, they could be in trouble against reigning champions and third-placed South Hobart at KGV Park on Wednesday.

In the reserves, goals by Iwao Shimizu, Thomas Kowaluk and Alex Beaumont gave Kingborough a 3-2 win over Zebras, who replied through Michael Connolly and Tommy Fotak.